Sunday morning started off to be uneventful and quite relaxing. After spending time in bed together watching Veggie Tales, we all got up and started getting ready for church. Things were rolling right along when I noticed that Reid kept grabbing at the back of his diaper. I asked him if he was "muddy" (our code word for a poopy diaper). He just smiled at me and proceeded to reach into his diaper to check and see if he in fact was muddy...AND HE WAS!!
I immediately dropped everything I was doing so I could grab his hand before he touched anything. I didn't get to him before he locked hands and squished it really good between all his fingers!! So I grabbed him by both wrists and ran to the bathroom so I could get him to the sink before we contaminated anything in the house. When we entered the bathroom, Stephen was just getting out of the shower and asked what we were doing. I said "just help me get him up on the counter" (I was afraid I would hurt his arms by lifting him by the wrists, but at the same time was afraid to loosen my grip for fear of what might happen in that split second that toddlers can seem to turn into hours!).
Now at the time, I thought Stephen realized what the brown matter on our hands was but he thought we had been coloring with brown markers and had just not been careful! (I love it, don't you!?!) When I let Daddy in on the secret, and also told him I wasn't so sure that our precious little boy had not sampled this new discovery to see if it tasted as great as it smelled, Daddy left the room.
As I'm leaning over the sink washing with all my might (by now Reid and I both have our hands in this), I hear Stephen in the next room trying to keep his breakfast down. As he starts to heave more and more, I cannot control the laughter. I am laughing so hard that I have tears streaming down the side of my face. By this time, Reid thinks that I am laughing at him because I'm sure he thinks what he has just done is so funny. So Reid joins me in the audible hysterical laughter. (Stephen assures me that he is just "coughing", but we all knew what was going on.)
Don't you just love motherhood? Now if I had to deal with this situation on a child other than my own, I would probably have been right along side of Stephen heaving (and more). But there's just something about being a mom and having to rise to the occasion when these mishaps occur! God gives us the dignity, grace, and the plugged nose to get through it!!!! :o)
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment